Strawberry Pie Recipe
Preparation Time: 2 hours|
- 2 1/2 cup all purpose flour
- 2 tbsp sugar
- 3/4 tsp salt
- 1 cup butter, cold and cubed
- 1/2 cup buttermilk, chilled
- 6 cups fresh strawberries, hulled and sliced
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar + extra for sprinkling
- 1/3 cup brown sugar
- 1/4 cup cornstarch
- pinch salt
- 2 tbsp lemon juice, freshly squeezed
- 1 egg
- Whisk together flour, sugar and salt. Add butter and work it into the flour mixture.
- Create a well in the mixture and pour in buttermilk. Use a fork to bring together the dough.
- Place the dough onto a lightly floured work surface. Gently knead the dough into two disks, wrap each in plastic wrap and refrigerate 1 hour.
- Toss strawberries, sugars, cornstarch, salt and lemon juice. Coat the strawberries well, let rest for 10 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 400F, with a rack in the centre of the oven.
- Roll one disk out, it should be about 1/8" thick and 12" in diameter. Fold in half twice, transfer to a pie dish, and unfold. Trim the edges.
- Spoon the filling into the pie crust.
- Roll out the second disk, use a pizza cutter to cut strips abour 3/4" wide. Weave them over the filling to create the lattice effect.
- Brush the egg wash over the pie and sprinkle sugar.
- Bake for 15 minutes, reduce temperature to 350F, bake another 30 minutes until crust is golden and filling is bubbling.
- Remove from oven and let cool before serving.